It’s Not Man, It’s Your Mentality



See the source image

I really don’t want to be here. Why am I and why is this man taking so long? My mother looked over at me and said, “Erica, you aren’t pregnant, are you?” “No… and if I am it must be the baby Jesus.” The door opened slowly. The doctor stood before us and said a few things but all I remembered was “12 weeks.” I was 17.  I don’t remember feeling sadness, or shock but I did feel a spark within me. From that moment on, I knew it was fight or flight, sink or swim. What ever my choice would be … I WOULD NOT LOOSE.  I would attend classes not at Project Hope, in my regular classes in the regular building.  I would work double as hard to ensure I graduated. Class of '97. Then along came bedrest.  Even though I could not walk during my high school graduation, I promised myself that I would indeed graduate again. I knew that being a teen mother would be difficult. I understood that being a single teen mother would be even more difficult. However, I also knew the power that my genes possessed. For me that fight fueled that spark into fire. Wild Fire. I HAD to try harder, I HAD to make something of myself. How could I raise a child or children to be fighters, if I didn’t fight? How could I teach them to believe in themselves, if I never believed in myself?  I am grateful for my every struggle! Amen. Doubt is our only obstacle and self-doubt is our only limitation. No one owes you anything, period. No one will provide for you if you indeed are not trying to provide for yourself. Don’t wait for the next man to be proud of you; be proud of yourself first. Don’t wait on the next man to love you; love yourself first. Don’t expect the next man to take care of you; take care of yourself first. It’s not about who won’t help, support, love or notice you. Change your mentality, let your actions speak for themselves. Carry yourself as the King or a Queen that you were destined to be until your presence alone makes them bow in belief.

Comments

Popular Posts