The Thoughtful Hour


 



When we first brought our home in Crawfordville, people would ask, “Why did you buy a house way out there in the country?” I would tell them that I love the country! I’m from the country so for me the country meant comfort. The breeze is better in the country. The skies seem brighter and the there’s no mistake nothing can compare to the stars and moon on a summer night. We brought our home 10 years ago and not much has changed in Crawfordville. There’s been a little growth and the traffic has increased but I still find joy on the commutes to and from work. I’ve witnessed a boar, eagles, bears, plenty of deer, some of the most beautiful sunrises and the beginnings of watercolor sunsets all on those commutes. Those commutes are also when the REAL thinking occurs. The morning commutes are often filled with thoughts of gratefulness and positive energy. Even when the traffic is congested, even when it’s rainy or foggy -the drive transforms into an acknowledgment celebration. Blessed indeed, I am. I awake in a home full of healthy beings. A comfortable, quiet environment, the princes have adequate clothing and breakfast. Outside it is just a tranquil –the chirping birds, neighbors walking their dogs, sprinklers misting the lawns and a slight breeze tickling the leaves. A peaceful scene. I often think of the scene that fellow drivers may have left from or the scene that awaits them. The commute home is strictly based of reflection. Generally things that have occurred to those that I've outreached to, have come in contact with or just witness in the area where my office is located. Those thoughts humble me. I see so many people that are affected by mental illness, homelessness, and drug and alcohol abuse. Once again I’m reminded of how blessed I truly am. Despite any sorrow, anger or loneliness that we may go through if we looked around and within us we’d see things as they truly are. It’s easy to forget. It’s easy to brush off. No matter what goes in our lives there is always someone or something to remind us that our situation could be worse. For me that someone or something is revealed during my commute.
 

 

Comments

Unknown said…
Brief but beautiful writing, as always, Erica.

I've nominated you for a mystery blogger award: https://pursuitofnatural.wordpress.com/2017/05/31/mystery-blogger-award/
Anonymous said…
Awww... thank you so much!

Popular Posts