An Empty Wagon


 
“An empty wagon makes a lot of noise.” If I never remember anything else about her; Mamma Dessie – Dessie Yerby my great grandmother, I will always remember that she said that. When I was younger I never quite understood what that saying meant. As I grew older I came to understand it a little more. At the age of 37 I can proudly say that I fully understand it's true meaning. I’ve never rode on, driven or was a passenger on a wagon -full or empty but I understand completely. An empty wagon has no contents, it’s hollow. Therefore the wheels and boards of it creak and groan as a result of vibrations from every bump, hole and rock in the road. If a wagon held contents then the contents would absorb the vibrations thus making the wagon less noisy. This phrase was often used to describe loud, ignorant or unruly people. Whenever I would be out with my mother and we would see someone acting irrational -basically being loud for no apparent reason other than to draw attention to their self… “An empty wagon makes a lot of noise.” Every action does not require a reaction. Your character is your brand. It keeps you marketable. It makes you relatable. If you only desire to be heard and seen, when will you ever have time to listen and watch? When and how will you ever learn? Humble thyself. Let the contents of strength, courage, high self- esteem, intelligence and common sense keep your wagon quiet and peaceful.

Comments

Unknown said…
This is more than worth a share

Popular Posts