Our Love Is A Carnation




I’ve watched him many times before, times that he may have thought that I was aware of his presence.  I remember when I wasn’t working I would spend the days cleaning, cooking and caring for our young princes. My heart would skip a beat when I would hear his work truck pull into the parking lot. I’d run to the front door like an eager child. Slightly lift the blinds and watch him as he got out and walked towards the front door. I‘ve heard him many times before, times when he may not have noticed that I was listening. His quiet talks with our princes, telling them about life and the importance of taking care of responsibilities. I've felt him many times, times that he's not aware because it didn't involve his physical touch. When he smiles at me from across a room. Times at my desk when the thought of something silly he's said makes me cry from laughter. He has been a part of my life since 2002, written in pages of my diaries and stitched into my being. He’s not perfect. He’s not rich. He's not famous but he's for me. He’s a gentle rushing stream. He’s comfort and my able when I am unable. When there’s too much tension he becomes the slack. He’s watched me struggle and watched me lose. He’s had a front row seat to my growth and accomplishments. He is my constant. People have various definitions of what true love really means. How love acts and reacts. Love is indeed consistent. It should never be complacent, there are too many changes throughout the days and arising obstacles over the years.  We’ve been through things that some may never know. Hardships that were never seen. Exchanged harsh words that by others will never be heard. It ain't all roses but it’s meaningful, it’s beautiful and it's blessed. I had to smile just then because I would compare our love to my favorite flower - the carnation.   It’s simple and it’s easy to grow. At times, you can’t determine the beginning from the ending of the ruffled rows. Carnations bloom year-round and they are resilient.  As a natural remedy the carnation can be brewed into tea to reduce stress and restore energy. The oil of the flower has been used topically to moisturize, soothe and heal. Carnations symbolize admiration, express love, distinction and fascination. Yes, that is US... that is our love.

Comments

Popular Posts