Bow...




If I had a dollar for every time that I’ve had to defend something about myself…
I remember when I first returned to natural. I had the cutest little afro that I wore with pride; not only because I felt strong but because I had cut it myself! That little fro didn’t stay little for long, it grew. As it grew my curl pattern came in.  Curl pattern meaning the most natural form of my hair texture. I kind of had an ideal that would occur because my mom had an amazing curl pattern so why wouldn’t mine be? The curlier it got the more I missed the fullness, the fluffiness. It was during that time that people would stop me and ask, “How do you get it to do that?” Or they would say, “It’s beautiful, I would go natural if my hair would look like that… you’ve got good hair.” I’ve even had Caucasian women to ask me what I did because they had mixed grandkids or kids (their exact words) but they didn’t know what to do or if what I did would even work because their hair wasn’t as good as mine. After a while I would just reply, I do what my hair loves. Whenever I was asked how did you get it like that… my reply became genetics or  God did it. I joined natural hair groups on FB thinking I was amongst my sisters. Soon thereafter I realized that my sisters with a courser texture didn’t get much feedback or likes on their pictures... sibling rivalry. Discouraged, I left the group.  Since then I’ve joined a better group on G+ -Natural Hair Lovers... I admit at times it may still happen but for the most part it’s all love and support. I guess it -the stigma of good hair means beautiful hair will never go away.  My hair isn’t a struggle and I refuse to watch as someone tries to make another feel that their hair is. We’re all Queens; it's in our bloodline!
If I had  a dollar for every time that we’ve had to defend something about ourselves I’d buy us all crowns.

Comments

Popular Posts