Mercy Said No


 
 
I wonder if they called me an @$$#&!*.  I was driving down Rehwinkel Rd. slowly coming to a stop at the sign, preparing to make a left turn on Martin Luther King. I looked to my right, the sunrise was beautiful. I let my window down, it was so foggy… no cars in sight. I checked my left side, nothing. At least from what I could tell. There’s a shortage and my window doesn’t come down. I normally rely on the trails made from dew as my lines of vision. I didn’t see any lights, I pulled out and right as I turned a voice said look. I saw the grill of a large SUV… a sage green, maybe an Armada or a Yukon. It was big. No lights on in this fog? Hmmm… I didn’t hear a horn, they didn’t blow. All I know is that they were close. I was close. I checked my rear mirror. Vision obstructed -my defrost hadn’t cleared the rear window yet. I checked my rear view mirrors wondering if I could see the vehicle continuing. Still no luck, maybe they were turning in as I was turning out. I continued to drive, a right onto Crawfordville Highway. I was very skeptical about making this right turn. The light was red so I waited for a cement truck in front of me to make their turn, they could handle the impact and be fine. The second light I begin to think, “Would I have died on impact?” “Would it have been a long painful death?” The song playing, Rise by Trip Lee would have been the soundtrack to my death. “Would I have just passed out and awoke in a hospital bed… no way of knowing. What a terrible beginning to the week. Or ending, there’s still so much more I have planned to do. My eyes filled with tears and I pictured my princes around a white casket... I exhaled and said “Lord, I thank you.” Collision and crisis averted

Comments

Popular Posts