Potential on Purpose





There is always a suggestion as to what one should do or be. Suggestions blatantly voiced about how one should act. Over time I’ve considered whether those suggestions were more of a hindrance than a help. I see potential in all beings and that potential deserves to be fed. I have heard parents question other parents about why they invest into their children or other children so much. Silently I’ve thought “aren’t they the future and as parents and adults shouldn’t we nurture their potential? I will admit that when our middle prince wanted to play an instrument I moved heaven and earth to make sure that it happened. I was willing to pay the monthly rental fees, chaperone trips and attend concert nights even after long stressful days of work. Well the clarinet playing only lasted one school term but the rental fees went on for almost a year afterwards. I continued to pay rental fees with hopes that he would pick it up again -after all he was quite good at it! Unfortunately, he decided that is wasn’t for him, only then was the instrument returned... the money spent on rental fees was lost! However, tomorrow if he wanted to play the same or another instrument the process would begin all over again. Yes, simply because I witnessed his potential! As parents, we tell our children to do and be their best. We encourage them to grow and flourish with hopes that one day they will find their way… when in all actuality some of us have yet to find ours. I have been asked several times before  if I thought that finding one's way was even possible. My answer to that question has always been the same - once you discover your potential, you’ll activate your purpose.

Comments

Unknown said…
Beautifully described. "Once you discover your potential, you'll activate your purpose." I'm writing that down. Definitely words to live by.

Popular Posts